11 Hyperbole Examples From Pop Culture
- an extravagant exaggeration
- language that describes something as better or worse than it really is
Hyperbole is by far the most interesting and beloved of all the literary devices. It serves as a way to create drama and interest in language by obviously exaggerating the reality of a situation in a way that isn’t meant to be taken literally. In case you didn’t catch it, the first sentence of this paragraph is an example of hyperbole – because, c’mon... we like hyperbole, but it isn’t that great.
The key to identifying hyperbole is to look for words and phrases that are absolute: impossible, always, never, worst, best, etc. Or when the -est ending is used: funniest, smartest, spookiest. Things generally aren’t absolute, so if these words are used, it could be a sign that hyperbole is being used.
Here are 3 examples of this:
- This week is so long...the weekend is never going to come!
- This math problem is impossible to solve so I am just going to give up.
- He’s the funniest person in the world!
Here’s a few examples of how the reality of a situation is exaggerated using hyperbole:
- Being cold → being freezing
- Waiting a long time → waiting forever
- Running fast → running like the wind
Hyperbole in Everyday Life
And here are 4 very common hyperbolic sentences that you might have heard:
- I’m so busy this week – I have a million things to do!
- The girl was as light as a feather and he picked her up with ease.
- The boy hadn’t eaten since breakfast and he was starving.
- I died of embarrassment in class this morning when I said the wrong answer.
In all of these sentences, the italicized part represents when hyperbole is being used – none of those things are actually true, but are a way to exaggerate what is actually occurring to emphasize how someone is feeling or what something seems like.
Hyperbole in Pop Culture
Hyperbole is used in movies, literature, songs, poems, slogans, and everyday phrases. We’ve included 2 well-known examples below:
Hyperbole in Disney Movies:
- Despicable Me: "He's so fluffy I'm gonna die!"
- 101 Dalmations: "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole elephant."
- Elf: "World's best cup of coffee"
- Beauty and the Beast: "I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning...and now that I'm grown, I eat 5 dozen eggs."
Hyperbole in Songs, Movies, and TV:
- "Best Song Ever" by One Direction: "The biggest band on the planet!" & "It's gonna be the greatest movie of all time."
- "Break My Heart" by Duo Lipa: "Had to love and lose a hundred million times..."
- "Trap Queen" by Fetty Wap: "Soundin' like a zillion bucks on the track."
- Lil Wayne: "I'm havin' the most fun I've ever had in my career."
- Shrek: "I mean white, sparkling teeth...that is one dazzling smile you have there."
- "Titanium" by David Guetta ft. Sia: "I am titanium."
I'm a junior at the University of Missouri studying strategic communications! In my free time I love to play soccer, cook, and read!